If you’re using Instagram for your business, you’re probably more than familiar with Instagram Stories.
Whether you use it to talk directly to your followers, alert followers of a new Instagram post, share a quote or photo of significance, or doing a quick repost of content from other accounts, Instagram Stories are a tremendous tool for your business.
But did you know that you also have the ability to change your Instagram story background color?
Most users tend to stick with the default background Instagram chooses based on the colors in your image because the methods to change it aren’t obvious at first glance.
And hey, sometimes, the gradient default color works just fine for your Instagram story background. But most of the time, you could probably use a little more creative freedom!
This blog post tutorial will go over three ways to change the background color of your Story, depending on the effect you are going for!
Changing Instagram Story Background Color: 3 Tricks to Know
If you want to give your Insta story a new background, you have 3 options:
- Change to a solid background
- Upload a background from your camera roll
- Add a color tint to your Instagram Story photo
Tailwind Tip: If you can’t find the icons or features discussed in this article, it may be time to head to the App Store (for iPhone) or Google Play store (for Android) and update your Instagram app! 😉
1. Changing Your Instagram Story Background to a Solid Color
To change your background to a solid color:
- Upload a photo from your camera roll to the Stories feature on the Instagram app
- Click the pen icon
- Select your desired color with the color dropper tool or choose from the default color options
- Tap (press and hold) the pen or eraser tool
- Long press (press and hold) the middle of your background
Tailwind Tip: This method is also PERFECT for creating Instagram highlight covers. Just upload the image you want (usually an icon of some sort, such as an airplane to symbolize travel) and change the background color to your brand color.
Repeat for each highlight cover!
Adding an Image Over Your New Background
You can also add a photo over your new background. To do this:
- Open your Photos app
- Select the image you want to add
- Click the ‘Copy Photo’ option from the options menu at the bottom of the screen
- Return to the Instagram app (Your Story-in-the-making should still be open)
- Click the ‘Add Sticker’ pop-up of your copied photo in the bottom left corner
2. Changing Your Instagram Story Background From Your Camera Roll
If you want to use a specific image or background with more design to it, you can simply make your own.
- Open a design tool, like Easil or Canva
- Design the background you are envisioning
- Download the image to your phone
- Upload it to Instagram Stories
- Place stickers, text, hashtags, Gifs, and emojis over the background to personalize it even more!
- Optional: Add another image on top (see above)
Tailwind Tip: If you love your new Stories so much you want to know how to add them to Instagram highlights, click on your Story after you post it.
There will be an icon labeled ‘Highlight’ that will allow you to create a new Highlight for your profile or add the Story to an existing one.
3. Adding a Color Tint to Change Background of Instagram Story
To add a color tint to your Instagram Story:
- Upload or take a photo in Stories
- Tap the Pen icon
- Choose the color tint you want from the available options of using the color dropper tool
- Tap the highlighter icon
- Long press on your background (may be necessary depending on the version of the app you have)
- Tap/long press a second time to make a denser color tint
- Tap/Long press a third time to create a solid color
Conclusion: How to Change Background Color on Insta Stories
Now that you know how to change your Instagram Story background color, you’re probably excited to get started!
There are many reasons you might want to liven up your Instagram Story and change the background color, but one of the most popular uses is creating branded Instagram highlight covers!
Plus, you can keep your Instagram personal brand cohesive and unique with a little splash of color on your Instagram Stories!
Now that you know how to change the background color on an IG Story, you’re ready to take the social media world by storm!
What tips and tricks would you like to hear about next? Let us know in the comments below 👇